What is a hydrant standpipe?
A hydrant standpipe is a metered portable device used to obtain water directly from fire hydrants on water mains. Only approved commercial customers can access the water network using a hydrant standpipe.
Lease a hydrant standpipe
We offer a hydrant standpipe leasing service to approved customers. Standpipes can be leased for periods of one day to being on permanent lease. To discuss your hydrant standpipe leasing requirements, please call us on 3432 2032 (8.30am – 4.30pm weekdays).
Customers who make an application to lease a hydrant standpipe will be required to provide the following documentation:
- Current Public Liability Insurance Certificate (min $10 million)
- Backflow Test Reports for all tankers. These can be obtained from Registered Backflow Plumbers
- Standpipe Operator tickets for all standpipe operators
Training for standpipe operators is available from our approved training providers.
View the list of Standpipe Training Providers
Where can I use a hydrant standpipe?
Approved hydrant standpipes can only be used in the Queensland Urban Utilities service area. Check that the suburb you are working is within our service area. If the suburb is not listed, you are not in our service area and will need to contact the relevant water service authority for your location.
Our requirement is for customers to always use the tanker filling station network as the first tanker supply option.
How much does water cost from a hydrant standpipe?
$4.35 per 1,000 litres (2016-2017 charges).
Hydrant Standpipe Customer Responsibilities
Responsibility for the quality of water supplied from a hydrant standpipe transfers to the customer at the standpipe outlet.
The standpipe customer is responsible for:
- operating the standpipe safely and in accordance with the Terms and Conditions of use
- ensuring compliance with all relevant approvals and legislation relating to the carrying, supply and use of potable water sourced from a tanker filling station