There are two categories of tankered waste, Deemed Quality and Special Disposal.
All tankered waste must meet the requirements of one of these categories.
It is the responsibility of the waste transporter to properly assess waste quality characteristics before delivery to the discharge location. If the waste is not Deemed Quality Waste, the waste transporter must ensure the waste generator obtains a Special Disposal Approval for the intended discharge.
When seeking to discharge special disposal Tankered Waste, the waste generator must contact us (3432 2160, 8:30am – 4:30pm weekdays) and request to speak with a Trade Waste Officer. If the waste is acceptable for discharge, a Special Disposal Approval will be issued with specific discharge conditions.
Tankered waste must meet the requirements of one of the following categories:
1. Deemed Quality Waste
Deemed Quality Waste is waste described as:
- Sullage waste – clarified waterborne waste pumped from septic tanks or small residential onsite treatment plants.
- Holding tank waste – waterborne waste pumped from holding tanks accumulating kitchen and domestic waste from non-sewered premises.
- Septic waste – waterborne waste pumped from septic tanks or onsite treatment systems.
- Grey water – wastewater generated from domestic activities such as laundry, dishwashing and bathing.
- Black water – wastewater containing faecal matter and urine (sewage)
- Portable toilet waste – waste collected from portable toilets.
Transporters who hold a Tankered Waste Approval, are authorised to discharge Deemed Quality Waste at Urban Utilities discharge locations without further notice or approval, subject to opening hours.
2. Special Disposal Waste
Special Disposal Waste is waste described as:
Wastes that are not Deemed Quality Wastes (i.e. are not sullage, holding tank waste, septic waste, grey water, black water or portable toilet waste) which have been assessed by Urban Utilities and have a Special Disposal Approval.
Transporters who hold a Tankered Waste Approval, are authorised to discharge approved Special Disposal Waste at the nominated Urban Utilities discharge location subject to the conditions of the approval.