What is a Tankered Waste Approval?
All waste transporters disposing tankered waste at our Tankered waste discharge locations
must hold a Tankered Waste Approval.
A Tankered Waste Approval states the:
- conditions under which tankered waste can be discharged
- categories of waste that can be discharged
- responsibilities of the waste transporter.
Unless otherwise specified in a tankered waste approval, an approval holder must also comply with all provisions of our Tankered Waste Management Plan (TWMP).
A waste transporter must hold an Environmental Authority (ERA57) for the transport of trackable waste in Queensland before being eligible for a Tankered Waste Approval.
To apply for an ERA57, waste transporters should contact the Permit and Licencing Section of the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection (email@example.com or 1300 130 372).
How can I apply for a Tankered Waste Approval?
Please phone us on 07 3432 2032. We will discuss your requirements and forward the necessary application forms.
How is the approval used?
The diagram below shows the workflow for approval, collection and discharge of tankered waste:
Through provision of tankered waste approval, we authorise the tanker company to assess the quality characteristics of the intended tankered waste.
The process for approval, collection and discharge of tankered waste:
- Tanker company recieves waste enquiry
- Tanker company must assess the waste category i.e. Deemed Quality or special disposal waste
- If the waste meets Deemed Quality criteria, the tanker company may collect waste and discharge at specified sewage treatment plants (STP).
- If the waste fails to meet Deemed Quality criteria, they fall under Special Disposal Tankered Waste. The tanker company must advise the customer that the waste cannot be collected for transportation to our STPs without a Special Disposal approval.
- Refer the customer to a Queensland Urban Utilities Trade Waste Officer on 13 26 57 (8am-6pm weekdays). The Trade Waste Officer will assist customers to obtain a Special Disposal Approval if waste is assessed as acceptable.
- On receipt of Special Disposal Approval, the waste may be carried and discharged at our specified STPs.
Notes for all waste categories:
- Tanker driver must be inducted at each STP prior to first delivery at that site.
- The provisions of the TWMP apply to all deliveries and discharges.
- A Regulated Waste Transport Certificate or QUU approved Waste Docket must be provided with every load.