Food processing consumes over 241,000 ML of water per year (Water Account Australia, 2004). This equates to 28% of the total water used in the manufacturing sector nationwide, making it the largest water using sector. Within the sector, water use (in litres per kilogram of production) ranges from 1 (for bakery products) to 9 (for meat products). To reduce water consumption in food processing, we recommend you:
- Understand the true cost of water to the operation.
- Accurately measure and monitor water consumption.
- Increase staff awareness and involvement in water efficiency initiatives.
- Install efficient equipment (e.g. spray nozzles).
- Identify and repair leaks.