General FAQs

You can change your details or postal address through MyAccount. Log in or sign up for MyAccount now.

Alternatively, you can complete one of the following online forms.

A change of account name as a result of a property ownership change or an individual name change (for example through marriage) can only be accepted from the Department of Natural Resources and Mines (DNRM).

Ownership transfer details are provided to the Land Titles Office and the new owner/name change information is applied to the Land Title.

The water and sewerage account will only be updated once notification of this transfer is received from DNRM. If you have any questions or concerns about the change of name please contact your solicitor.