Keeping our network protected from damage and accessible for maintenance is incredibly important. So if you are planning work near or above our pipes, you'll need to get approval first. This can be done as part of a building application.

Visit the Research my land page for services to help you locate our infrastructure. You should also contact your local council for their 'building over stormwater' requirements.

An assessment must be managed for you by a licensed certifier (private or council). They will advise whether the building work complies with the Queensland Development Code MP1.4 Building Over or Near Infrastructure (QDC MP1.4) (PDF).

If it doesn’t comply, you can propose an alternative design solution through a Build over Asset referral.

As of 1 March 2019, Developer Services no longer accepts Self-Assessment Referrals.

There are two types of Build over Asset (BOA) compliance advice or referrals which can be lodged or submitted to us, depending on how the work complies with QDC MP1.4.

Build over asset referrals
Does the building work comply with QDC MP1.4? Type of Build Over Asset referral 

Form 32 - Relevant information for service providers (Compliance advice for QDC MP1.4 - Building over or near relevant infrastructure)

Acknowledgement: Within five business days
Please note:
Form 32 lodgements can only be made by building certifiers. More information, including compliance criteria for a Form 32 submission, is available on the Form 32 Fact Sheet.


BOA Referral

Processing time: 25 business days
Fees: Please see the Developer Customer Price List for further details.


How to lodge a Build Over Asset referral

Form 32 (Compliance advice for QDC MP1.4)
  1. Download and complete Form 32 from the Department of Housing and Public Works
  2. Email the completed form to
  3. We will review the submission and issue either:

(A) Acknowledgement advice, and register the submission, or

(B) Non-compliance advice. A new Form 32 submission will be required.

Note: Form 32 must be submitted by building certifiers. Non-compliant submissions will not be processed and a new submission will be required. 

Build Over Asset Referral
  1. Download and complete the latest Build Over Asset (BOA) Referral form (updated 15 December 2020, only the latest version will be accepted).
  2. Gather the following supporting information:
  • a copy of the building application, including plans, drawings and specifications that comply with the Building Act 1975 Chapter 3 Parts 1 and 2
  • supporting technical documentation (as outlined in the referral form).
  1. Email the completed form and copies of the necessary supporting information to
  2. Upon receiving your properly-made referral, we will email you a Charge Notice for payment.
  3. Upon receipt of all necessary fees, your referral submission will be assessed and a Concurrent Agency Response issued within 25 business days. The notice will contain approval conditions for the building design. 

Note: Missing or incorrect information will delay assessment. Referrals that are not properly made will not be progressed.


In some circumstances, building and/or construction works will not comply with the acceptable solutions provided by QDC MP1.4, or they will require a referral under QDC MP1.4.

To assist in these situations, we offer a range of alternative solutions for building over or near our infrastructure, that are also acceptable as part of a BOA referral.

The following downloadable technical drawings may help prepare alternative solution plans or engineering drawings prior to submission. For further information, including the meaning of various terms, please refer to BOA Definitions document.


List of BOA Alternative Solutions Technical Drawings

Drawing number: BOA -SEW-P1-1201-2
Title: Concrete sleeper retaining walls Adjacent to or over Small Diameter Sewers and Sewer Services (PE Sewers Only) 1
Version: 01
Date: 18 April 2019

Drawing number: BOA -SEW-P1-1201-3
Title: Concrete sleeper retaining walls Adjacent to or over Small Diameter Sewers and Sewer Services (PE Sewers Only) 2
Version: 01
Date: 18 April 2019


Subscribe to updates

Subscribe to alerts to stay up to date with newly published and updated BOA alternative solution drawings.

If you have a sewer maintenance structure, also known as a manhole, in your yard, it indicates there is a sewer running through your property.

We need to be able to access maintenance structures to undertake activities such as clearing blockages, routine cleaning, camera inspection or repair/replacement.

If you’re doing work on your property that affects the sewerage pipeline, you’ll need to lodge a Water Connection application in our Development Applications Portal

Tips to keep manholes/maintenance holes accessible

  • Trim shrubs and grass around the manhole
  • Avoid parking vehicles over the manhole
  • Do not build any structures over the manhole, including establishing a garden on top of, or burying the manhole.

If you need assistance determining whether a sewer runs through your property or the size and depth of the sewer, you can request an engineering search.

Maintenance structure alterations

During construction or excavation at your property, you may need to make an alteration to the manhole.

How do I arrange for a manhole to be raised or lowered?

For all property types, submit a Property Service Connection application in our Developer Applications portal

When completing your online application select 'Wastewater Alteration' under Connection details and provide details in the Additional Information section.

We will assess your application and identify the classification of the manhole. If it is classified as a G type maintenance structure and you are raising it up to one metre, we will give you the option of proceeding under our standard connection process. All other classifications of manholes, raising above one metre, and all lowering manhole applications will be processed under our endorsed consultant certification scheme for minor works.