Every day Urban Utilities is working with developers in our service area to manage development connection, disconnections and alterations to drinking water, non-drinking water (recycled water) and wastewater services. The assessment and issuing of Water Approvals is central to this process because they outline conditions that must be met in order to undertake a non-standard connection, disconnection or alteration.

A Non-standard Connection (previously called Property Service and Network Connection) is required when connecting new infrastructure to existing drinking water and wastewater networks. Works approved under a non-standard connection are assessed as either Major or Minor works.  Depending on the size and complexity of your development, a non-standard connection may be undertaken in phases as a staged water connection. 

Currency periods

Water Approvals issued after 28 March 2019 are valid for a currency period of four years from the date of issue, unless a one-time extension has been granted. Water Approvals issued prior to 28 March 2019 are valid for a currency period of two years from the date of issue, unless a one-time extension has been granted.

What do I need to apply?

Ensuring that your application is complete and correct can save you time and money. Download our Check for Completeness guideline for information about how to submit a ‘properly made’ application, including all the documents critical to the timely assessment of your application.

Access the development forms required during the initial application stage. 

How much does it cost to apply?

Please see the Developer Customer Price List for further details.

How do I apply?

Once you have gathered all the required information, you can lodge your application and pay the application fee through the Developer Applications Portal.

How will my application be assessed?

Your application will be assessed against the criteria set out in our Water Netserv Plan (Part A) – Connections Policy and you will be issued a Decision Notice via email advising:

  • approval or refusal of your application
  • the category of works (Major or Minor)
  • conditions that apply to your Water Approval (or reasons for its refusal)
  • next steps in the process.

Engaging a consultant

An engineering consultant must be engaged to develop and certify* designs, as well as certifying the construction process. The engineering consultant you can select depends on the type of non-standard connection approval (Major or Minor works) you receive
  • For Minor works: the engineering consultant must be selected from Urban Utilities’ List of Endorsed Consultants (effective 21 March 2023)
    • Urban Utilities endorse each consultant against set criteria including capability, quality, and experience. Whilst we carry out regular audits to ensure quality is maintained and continuously improved, we recommend that customers undertake their own due diligence and seek multiple quotes when arranging services from any supplier.
    • Urban Utilities holds no liability of the actions carried out by an Endorsed Consultant. Customers are responsible for ensuring adequate commercial arrangements are in place when engaging a supplier.
  • For Major works: the engineering consultant must have a Registered Professional Engineer of Queensland (RPEQ) certification. In addition, you will have access to the experience of an Urban Utilities' appointed Assurance Officer.

How long does the assessment take?

A Decision Notice will be issued in 20 business days once an application is determined as properly made (maximum 5 business days), unless involving complex assets e.g. pumping, treatment or storage infrastructure, or otherwise agreed. For more information refer to our service commitments.

If further information is required, you, or your consultant, will receive an Information Request (via email). Please lodge the additional information via our Developer Applications Portal.

How do I request an extension of currency and avoid a lapsed application?

A one-time request to extend your currency period may be made within the currency period outlined in the conditions of your Water Approval Decision Notice. To request an extension of currency, select Request Extension of Currency at the Construction stage in the Developer services Portal.

If you have other questions about your lapsed Water Approval, please email developmentenquiries@urbanutilities.com.au.

Enquiries and further advice

If you have a question relating to a specific stage of the application process relating to the information you need to provide, our fees and charges, or the development process itself, please send your enquiry to:

  • General enquiries: developmentenquiries@urbanutilities.com.au
  • Assessment: developmentenquiries@urbanutilities.com.au
  • Compliance: development.compliance@urbanutilities.com.au