Everyday Urban Utilities is working with our developer customers to improve our growing infrastructure network. As part of this, we issue Water Approvals outlining any conditions that must be met in order to undertake a property service and network connection, disconnection or alteration.

A property service and network connection (PNT) applies when connecting new infrastructure to the existing network. Depending on the size and complexity of your development, a PNT can be undertaken in phases as a staged water connection. 

PNTs are assessed as Major or Minor works.  An engineering consultant is required to develop and certify design and certify the construction with the construction contractor. For Minor works, the consultant must be engaged from Urban Utilities’ list of Endorsed Consultants.

You can also apply for a Property Service Connection if you require Urban Utilities' written approval for plumbing works.

Currency periods

Water Approvals issued after 28 March 2019 are valid for a currency period of four years from date of issue. Water Approvals issued before 28 March 2019 are valid for a currency period of two years from date of issue.

What do I need to apply?

Ensuring your application is complete and correct can save you time and money. Download our Check for Completeness guideline for information about how to submit a properly made application that includes all materials critical to the timely assessment of your application.

Download the development forms required during the initial application stage. 

How much does it cost?

Please see the Developer Customer Price List for further details.

How do I apply?

Once you have gathered all of the required materials, lodge your application and submit the application fee through the Developer Applications Portal.

Note: during your connection application you will receive emails from no-reply@urbanutilities.com.au. Some email servers may block this address, so before commencing your application please check your security and spam settings.

How will my application be assessed?

Your application will be assessed against the criteria set out in our Water Netserv Plan (Part A) – Connections Policy and you will be issued a Decision Notice via email advising:

  • approval or refusal of your request
  • the category of works (Major or Minor)
  • conditions that apply to your Water Approval (or reasons for its refusal)
  • next steps in the process.

Engaging a consultant

Depending on the type of PNT (Major or Minor works) an engineering consultant is to be engaged and required to develop and certify design and certify the construction in collaboration with the construction contractor per the following:

  • Minor works: consultant must be appointed from Urban Utilities’ Endorsed Consultant Register to certify design and construction. 
  • Major works: works delivered with your choice of Registered Professional Engineer of Queensland (RPEQ) qualified engineer, in addition to having access to the experience of an Urban Utilities' appointed Assurance Officer.

As a team you will deliver the project, however responsibility for the total application resides with you (the developer). 

How long does the assessment take?

A Decision Notice will be issued 20 business days upon receipt of a properly made application. For more information refer to our service commitments (PDF).

If further information is required, you will receive a request for information via email. Please lodge the additional information on the Developer Applications Portal.

How do I request an extension and avoid a lapsed application?

A one-time extension request is available within the currency period outlined in your Water Approval Decision Notice. To request an extension, download and complete an Amended Decision Notice and Extension of Currency Request form (PDF). Extensions are valid for an additional four years from the original decision notice. Any further extension will require a new Water Approval application.

If you have other questions about your lapsed Water Approval, please email DCMTenquiries@urbanutilities.com.au.

Enquiries and advice

If you have a question relating to a specific stage of the application process, including what information you need to provide, fees and charges, or the development process, please send your enquiry to:

Plumbing approvals

Seek written approval from us as part of your lodgement to council

We undertake assessments of plumbing and hydraulic systems to ensure they are constructed in a manner that protects our water and sewerage infrastructure. These assessments are undertaken in accordance with the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2018 and integrated into our Water Approval Process.

As part of this process, you will receive a Water Approval Decision Notice, which you can submit as a requirement of your application to council. 

You also have the flexibility to schedule your application for a Water Approval before, during or after council’s development assessment process. 

Fact sheet: Plumbing approval process - how to seek written approval from Urban Utilities (PDF)

If you are unsure of how to proceed please email us developmentenquiries@urbanutilities.com.au 

Transitional applications - Certificate to Connect 

If you have already received a “Certificate to Connect” from us under our previous system you can still provide that to councils for your plumbing approval.

In accordance with the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2002, Urban Utilities has a written agreement with our shareholder councils for residential dwellings (Class 1a & 10a) and for Class 2 – 9 buildings where a Water Approval Decision Notice has been issued. You do not need to approach us for written approval in these circumstances.