You will need to apply for a Standard Connection where any of the following network changes are proposed:

  • Building a new detached dwelling (house) or a duplex on an existing lot.
  • Subdividing one residential lot to create (up to) three lots (Reconfiguration of a Lot) resulting in:
    • a detached dwelling (house) on each of the lots; or
    • a duplex development on each lot; or
    • any combination of the above.
  • Merging (up to) three residential lots to create two lots or one lot, with a detached dwelling (house) or duplex development on each lot (Reconfiguration of a Lot).
  • Building up to six multi-unit dwellings (apartments or townhouses) up to 3 storeys within a single lot (Note: certain restrictions apply). 
  • Building an ancillary (self-contained) dwelling on a residential lot (e.g. a ‘granny’ flat). We recommend you also refer to the relevant local planning scheme for advice relating to ancillary dwellings. 

Your application may not be eligible for a Standard Connection where: 

  • Your property is situated on a State-controlled road. The Department of Transport and Main Roads mandate special permits for works within State-controlled roads, and review and approve designs before they will approve permits for contractors to carry out the work.
  • The wastewater main is in the roadway or in a neighbouring property.
  • Your property is not near a drinking water or wastewater main.

    Please note: Some Standard Connection Water Approval applications will become Non-Standard Water Approval applications due to design or site considerations/complexities. For example, multiple other utility services in footpaths/roadways, protected vegetation or heritage features, infrastructure plans involving maintenance structure (manholes), mains over 100 metres, where neighbours consent is difficult to acquire for proposed works etc.

  • A detailed site plan, marked up with the preferred location of the new connection/s.
  • Building plans and/or floor plans if applying for a connection for a duplex, auxiliary dwelling or multi-unit dwelling.
  • Property Owner/s Consent form if you are not the property owner for the property/properties affected by proposed connections/disconnections/alterations.

Please see the Developer Customer Price List for further details.

Ensuring that your application is complete and correct can save you time and money. Download our Check for Completeness guideline for information about how to submit a properly made application, and help us meet your expectations of a timely and consistent assessment. 

Once you have gathered all the required materials, you can lodge your application and pay the application fee through the Developer Applications Portal.

  • We will assess your application in five business days and provide a Decision Notice within a further five business days and of a properly made application (10 business days in total).
  • An infrastructure charge notice will be issued in 10 business days of a Decision Notice being issued.
  • Works will be scheduled once all outstanding payments are made.
  • You will be contacted by our authorised contractor within three business days to arrange a suitable time for your connection.

More information on time frames can be found in our service commitments. 

Your application will be assessed against:

After construction is completed and all applicable fees and charges paid (including infrastructure charges if applicable), we will issue you a Connection Certificate and As-Constructed plans. Small subdivisions will need this certificate as part of the plan sealing (final approval) process with councils.

If you have a question relating to a specific stage of the application process, including what information you need to provide, fees and charges, or the development process, please send your enquiry to: