Connecting to water and wastewater services is a critical part of developing, and understanding the process can save time and money. Follow the tabs below to learn more about each stage of the Water Approval process and what will be required.


 Avoid surprises with planning and research 

Undertaking investigations on your property is always recommended, with careful research potentially saving time and money.

  • We can help you to identify Urban Utilities network infrastructure in and around your site, Request an optional Engineering Search to guide further physical inspections.

    Please note: service locations identified in the Engineering Search are approximate only and do not provide detail on existing
    private infrastructure (or infrastructure owned by other authorities), off-line mains, or assets owned by other authorities, such
    as SEQWater. 
  • Planning a complex development or a development generating trade waste? Request a pre-application Services Advice Notice (SAN). 

How to apply

Once you have a state government or local council Development Approval, you can apply for an Urban Utilities Water Approval.

The size and nature of your development will determine the type of application you need.


Identify the right application for your needs.

STEP 2: 

Ensure a properly made application using our Check for Completeness guide.


Submit and pay for a Standard Connection (e.g. amalgamations, single lot residential developments, or one-into-two lot subdivisions) or Property and Network Connection application (e.g. amalgamations, staged developments and industrial or commercial developments that generate trade waste). Applications are lodged via our Developer Applications Portal.


How is my application assessed?

Applications are assessed against criteria set out in the Water Netserv Plan (Part A) - Connections Policy.

Depending on the type and nature of your development, the application will be assessed as a Standard Connection (e.g. amalgamations, single lot residential developments, or one-into-two lot subdivisions) or a Property and Network Connection (e.g. amalgamations, staged developments and commercial or industrial developments that generate trade waste).  

Following assessment you will be issued a Decision Notice via email confirming:

  • approval or refusal of your request
  • conditions that apply to your Water Approval (or reasons for refusal)
  • next steps in the process.

What is a Request for Information (RFI)?

In order to assess your application correctly, further detail may be required and you will be issued a Request for Information (RFI).  If you receive an RFI it is important to:

  • respond promptly and correctly
  • make sure the response is detailed.

If you have a question relating to the RFI including what information you need to provide, please email your enquiry to: 

  • General enquiries:
  • Assessment:

 Planning works

At this stage, designs for the connection infrastructure are submitted to Queensland Urban Utilities for review. Design requirements vary for Standard Connections and Property and Network Connections

All water and wastewater-related construction works are audited at pre-determined milestones by a Queensland Urban Utilities appointed assurance officer.

Standard Connection

These works apply to connections and alterations (including amalgamations and disconnections) for a new single dwelling house on an existing lot, or one-into-two lot residential sub-divisions with a single dwelling house on each lot. Standard Connection works are undertaken by a Queensland Urban Utilities authorised contractor in a convenient, streamlined service. 

  • A connection construction quote issued within five business days, following issue of the Water Approval,
  • You will be contacted by the contractor within an additional three business days to arrange the connection.
  • Construction will be undertaken within 25 business days.

Property and Network Connection (Major and Minor works)

These connection types include amalgamations, staged developments and commercial or industrial developments that generate trade waste.

Upon assessment, your development will be classed as Major or Minor works.  An engineering consultant is required to undertake design and certification in collaboration with the construction contractor. Together as a team you will deliver your project however the overall process, including ensuring compliance with the conditions of your Water Approval, is your responsibility as the developer. 

Engaging a consultant

  • Minor works: consultant appointed from Queensland Urban Utilities’  list of Endorsed Consultants to certify design and construction. ThEndorsed Consultant Certification Scheme provides an efficient and cost-effective way to engage an approved ‘third-party’ engineering consultant. 
  • Major works: you are enabled to self-deliver major works with your choice of Registered Professional Engineer of Queensland (RPEQ) qualified engineer, in addition to having access to the experience of a Queensland Urban Utilities appointed Assurance Officer.

Design phase

  • Prepare required design materials, including certification by a Registered Professional Engineer of Queensland (RPEQ).
  • If required - submit a Design Variation to request approval to vary from design standards or Queensland Urban Utilities’ Approval Conditions.
  • Upload the complete Design Package to the Developer Applications Portal with proposed accurate and detailed design drawings, reports and other documents required by the Water Approval
  • Issue of Design Approval Decision Notice.

 Undertaking works

Here your design and planning are put into action and the infrastructure connection works are undertaken on site.  

Standard Connection

  • The live connection works are completed by the Urban Utilities contractor within 25 business days.

Property and Network Connection (Minor and Major works)

  • Request a Network Access PermitPlease note: in the rare case that a Trunk Shut Plan is required, preparation and approval may take up to three months.
  • Order large water meters if required 
  • Register construction details with Urban Utilities
  • Book field audits
  • Complete all required testing and quality assurance
  • Collate all as-constructed package documentation
  • Pay all outstanding fees and charges to progress to the Compliance/Maintenance phase.    

Building a network to rely on

Urban Utilities works with developers to build a network everyone can rely on, now and for the future. The compliance phase ensures all conditions of the Water Approval have been met in relation to the South East Queensland Water Supply and Sewerage Design and Construction Code (SEQ Code), in order to protect the health and safety of the community and guarantee the integrity of our infrastructure. 

Achieving on and off maintenance

'On and off maintenance' describes a 12-month, two stage process of complying with conditions of a Water Approval when constructing infrastructure that will be transferred to Urban Utilities such as:

  • water and wastewater (sewerage) infrastructure
  • pump stations
  • large diameter trunk mains
  • reservoirs
  • treatment plants, etc.

Your works are considered to be on-maintenance for 12 months following completion of construction and issue of a Connection Certificate, where use has been permitted to commence. Off-maintenance refers to the period thereafter, where the End of Maintenance package is lodged with Urban Utilities.   

Compliance requirements for Standard Connections and Property and Network Connections vary. It is important to read all conditions of your Water Approval before contacting Urban Utilities, to determine what requirements apply. 

Standard Connection

  • The authorised-contractor will submit an As-Constructed package to Urban Utilities, detailing the completed works.
  • Urban Utilities will issue your Connection Certificate. 

Property and Network Connection (Major and Minor works)

 On maintenance:
  • For both Major and Minor works, the Endorsed Consultant or consulting engineer must submit an As-Constructed package to Urban Utilities, detailing the completed works for technical review.
  • Where compliant, Urban Utilities will issue your Connection Certificate, and the infrastructure will be considered on-maintenance for 12 months.
  • Where infrastructure is not compliant, the Connection Certificate will not be issued and use may not commence.
  • Any remediation works undertaken must be recorded by the engineer and provided to Urban Utilities via the Developer Application Portal.
Off maintenance:
  • At the end of the 12 month on-maintenance period, the End of Maintenance package is lodged to Urban Utilities.
  • All outstanding fees and charges must be paid to commence off-maintenance.
  • Return of security bond where compliance requirements are satisfied (Major works only).

A Water Approval is an authority given to a customer to make a connection, disconnection or alteration to our water and/or wastewater (sewerage) networks. It is required for a property service connection, network connection, or staged water connection for multi-stage developments.

A Water Approval is contained within a Decision Notice provided to the customer following the assessment of a connection application. The Decision Notice contains conditions that the customer must comply with in order to make a connection. This commonly includes a requirement for the customer to undertake the works necessary for the connection, disconnection or alteration of the water or wastewater service.

  • Safeguards quality design and construction for service reliability and efficient network operation. 
  • Ensures Queensland Urban Utilities has detailed records to locate and maintain infrastructure, manage network impacts and support future development and connections.
  • Protects the health and safety of the community and the environment.
  • Ensures your development and water servicing needs are met.
  • Allows you to safely and lawfully occupy or sell your property.

The Water Approval Process and development assessment process operate in conjunction. An application for a Water Approval and a development application do not need to be submitted at the same time and timing of submission depends on your requirements.

Where developers are proposing to connect to our water and sewerage services, councils will require evidence that a connection is available. Generally the evidence required, and therefore the relative timing of the two approvals, will depend on the complexity of the proposed development and the likely availability of services.

Research your site:
  • Is there existing infrastructure on or near your land? Access our connection area maps to determine the drinking water, non-drinking water and wastewater services in your area.
  • What site and research investigations have been undertaken, how have you managed risk through contingency? Our Research my land information may help.
  • Are other utilities (electricity, gas, telecommunications etc.) and/or local council infrastructure located on your site? The free Dial Before You Dig service can help identify infrastructure in the general location that you are planning to work.
  • Does your site have specific considerations that may affect the complexity, cost and time of your development, e.g. easements, manholes and maintenance structures, heritage listing, protected vegetation, floodable land, acid sulphate soils, or is your site located within/adjacent to a waterway or major transport corridor? 
  • Are there outstanding fees or non-compliance for existing development on your site that may now be your responsibility? 
Engage a consultant:
  • If applicable, have you considered gathering at least three quotes from consultants and secured a contract to govern the rights and duties of all parties?
Review your application:
  • Are your application plans and details complete and correct before lodging? Refer to our Check for Completeness to ensure a complete and properly made application, saving you time and money.
  • Do you understand the process steps and time frames? Our Commitment To You outlines our service standards and obligations, including response time frames.
  • Are you familiar with the fees and applicable infrastructure charges and to correctly estimate total costs? Access our current fees and charges.