Property owners own and are responsible for the installation, repair, maintenance and replacement of all the private fittings, mains connected water tanks and pipes on their property up to the water meter and sewer connection point. If a leak or blockage is detected in these pipes, it is the property owner’s responsibility to fix it. We recommend the property owner contacts a plumber to rectify the problem as soon as possible.
We are responsible for the water meter and the pipes leading away from the property. If a problem is detected in these pipes, it is our responsibility to fix it. Please contact our faults and emergencies team on 13 23 64 (available 24/7) if you discover a problem with our pipes.
Urban Utilities is responsible for:
- The water meter
- The pipes from the water meter that connect to the water main.
- If a problem is detected in these pipes, please contact our faults and emergencies team on 13 23 64 (available 24/7), or visit Faults and Interruptions to report a leak online
As a property owner, you are responsible for:
- All pipework within the property boundary including fixtures, fittings and water tanks
- All pipework leading from the property up to and including the connection point to the water meter. This may be located outside your property boundary e.g. the council footpath or common property.
- The cost of water associated with any leaks at your property up to the connection point of the water meter
- Arranging and paying for a licensed plumber to repair your pipework.
- If a leak is detected in these pipes, please call a plumber to repair them.