Signs you might have a leak

Leaks from pipes, plumbing fixtures and fittings can occur in any property, at any time, regardless of its age, location or construction method. They can occur in new homes, old homes, outside, inside, above or under the ground.

Visible leaks. Things to check for

  • Taps and sinks – check to see if any taps are dripping. Dripping taps will often just need a replacement washer.   
  • Kitchen - check to see if there is water pooling under the dishwasher or fridge (if it is connected to the plumbing). You should also look for warped or discoloured cupboards, bench tops or walls. This is a sign that water is leaking from somewhere close by.
  • Bathroom - check to see if the toilet cistern is continually running. 
  • Laundry - check for water pooling under the washing machine or laundry tub. If you see pooling water in these areas, check the hoses connecting the washing machine to see if they are cracked, frayed, bulging or wet. 
  • Yard – if you can see wet patches or bright green areas of grass in your yard, this could indicate that there is a concealed leak in a pipe underground. 
  • Your water meter – check to see if there is water leaking from your water meter. 

Less obvious leaks. Things to check for

  • Yard - Wet or damp patches in the yard during a dry spell
  • Unexpected increase in usage
  • A noticeable reduction in water pressure
  • Outside - Some cracking in paved areas
  • Internal surfaces - Warped or discoloured walls or floorboards
  • Damp carpets
  • Hot water system - Drips on the side of a hot water system
  • Irrigation systems – check your gardens for hidden irrigation pipes that may be leaking
  • Solar hot water / pool heating systems – check for leaks from the unit and associated pipework
  • Water tanks – if your tank can draw water from the main supply, check that the auto top-up valve is functioning correctly
  • Pools – if your pool has auto top-up, check it’s not topping up continuously. Also, check you pool for leaks.

How to check for a leak

We recommend you complete the following test regularly, or if your bill is higher than expected.

  1. Turn off all internal and external taps and take a reading of your water meter.
  2. Make sure that the isolating stop valve/tap on the water meter is left in the on
  3. Don’t use any water for at least one hour (don’t even flush the toilet). 
  4. Take another reading of your water meter and pay attention to the red numbers and dials.
  • If the dials of the meter continue to turn, or there has been an increase in the readings, you may have a leak.
  • If you are unable to locate the source of a leak, you can engage a licensed plumber or leak detection service to assist you.
  • If you are having difficulty accessing your water meter, or if you live in a unit or apartment block and don’t have an individual meter, please contact us