From mid March 2020, we will be upgrading the Ann Street trunk main from Edmondstone Road, Newstead to Gotha Street Fortitude Valley. Known as the S77 trunk main, it is the oldest water main supplying water from Mt Crosby Water Treatment Plant to the Brisbane CBD and Bartleys Hill Reservoirs. This upgrade will extend the service life of this critical pipe and ensure the reliability and sustainability of our network.
We will be upgrading the 2.2kms of trunk water main using a new trenchless technology that involves inserting an internal lining, called ‘Primus Line’, into the existing pipe. This will avoid the need to remove and replace the entire pipe using open trenching, dramatically reducing community and traffic impacts.
The project is underway and will take up to four months to complete. The majority of the work will be done during the night, between 8pm and 5am, Sunday to Friday. This work has been scheduled after-hours to comply with approved traffic permits.
Our crews will be installing the liner at 10 locations along the trunk main, one of which is near to your property. We will therefore be communicating with you again shortly to advise when work will be starting in your area, and the anticipated duration of that work.
What can I expect?
The majority of the work will be done during the night, between 8pm and 5am, Sunday to Friday. This work has been scheduled after-hours to comply with approved traffic permits.
During this work, customers and businesses might be impacted by:
- night work with lighting, construction vehicle movements and the use of noise generating machinery. Crews will endeavour to complete the high noise work as early as possible (site conditions permitting)
- changed traffic conditions and lane closures around work sites, with traffic management in place to manage traffic flow
- crews moving back and forth between work locations on a regular basis. We will notify you when we anticipate work will be occurring in your area, so please check your letterbox regularly over the coming months.
There will be no disruption to your water supply as a result of this work.
How will the impacts be managed
The project team will manage the construction impacts by:
- placing barriers and suitable signage around the work areas during excavation
- minimising noise and dust and managing both at the source, to the extent possible
- temporarily restoring disturbed roads and footpaths to allow for continued day use while the project is progressing
- restoring affected areas as close to their original condition as possible, after the work is completed.
Please take care and observe all signposting, speed limits and any directions given by traffic controllers.