Artist impression of the new Lowood Sewage Treatment Plant with established landscaping
Lowood-Fernvale Sewer Upgrade
Christmas close - Construction will cease for a two week period from COB Friday 21 December and recommence on Monday 7 January. Queensland Urban Utilities and Broadspectrum would like to wish everyone in the project area a very safe and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
The November Project Update is available here.
A project Facebook group has been established just for local residents and stakeholders, to provide you with project information and updates. You can find the group at www.quu.com.au/lowood-fernvale-group.
About the project
Queensland Urban Utilities is committed to excellence in water and sewerage services that meet the evolving needs of our customers and enhance our communities. As part of this commitment, we’re investing $45 million to upgrade the sewerage system for the towns of Lowood and Fernvale, located in Somerset Regional Council, South East Queensland to cater for future growth and development in the area.
The Lowood-Fernvale Sewer Upgrade includes the following:
- Lowood sewage treatment plant – to be constructed on Forest Hill-Fernvale Road, Vernor, consisting of a three storey treatment plant, vehicle access, a ring road, a number of buildings, tanks and related infrastructure.
- Lowood sewerage pump station - to be built at the site of the existing Lowood sewage treatment plant on Forest Hill–Fernvale Road (near the intersection with Prospect Street), Lowood). This pump station will transfer sewage to the new Lowood sewage treatment plant.
- Ferny Gully sewerage pump station – to be located off Carralluma Crescent in Fernvale, to transfer sewage from Fernvale to the new Lowood sewage treatment plant.
- Lowood rising main - 1.6 km of underground sewer rising main connecting the new Lowood sewerage pump station to the new Lowood sewage treatment plant.
- Fernvale rising main - 6.4 km of underground sewer rising main connecting the new Ferny Gully sewerage pump station to the new Lowood sewage treatment plant.
- Decommissioning the existing Fernvale sewage treatment plant, Lowood sewage treatment plant, Lowood sewerage pump station and Bank Street sewerage pump station.
Construction is underway and is due to be completed within two years, weather and ground conditions permitting.
Work will take place from Monday to Friday, 6am to 6pm, in accordance with Somerset Regional Council approved hours of work, with occasional Saturday work if required.
We will keep customers and commuters informed about progress and provide regular construction updates for directly impacted residents.
What's can I expect?
During construction, nearby residents and businesses may be impacted by:
- construction-related noise and dust from vehicle movements, reversing safety beepers, excavation and backfilling activities.
- changed traffic conditions, including reduced speeds and possible lane closures around worksites. Local property access will be maintained with the assistance of traffic controllers
- possible trimming or removals of trees in accordance with relevant Council permits.
How will construction be managed?
The project team will manage construction impacts by:
- placing barriers and suitable signage around the work areas during excavation and pipe installation
- monitoring noise and dust and managing both at source, to the extent possible
- using approved traffic management schemes to ensure the safety of road users, pedestrians and Rail Trail users.
Please take care and observe all signposting, speed limits and any directions given by traffic controllers when travelling through the area.
Brisbane Valley Rail Trail
Traffic management will be in place throughout the project to keep the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail open during construction and ensure the safety of users.
The project team is committed to minimising the construction impacts on local residents.
We will keep you informed about progress and provide regular construction updates for directly impacted residents. We will also work closely with the project contractor to ensure every effort is made to keep any disturbances to a minimum.
At any time during the construction, you can contact the project team on 1800 071 230 (24/7) if you have any questions or concerns.
To stay involved
If you would like to receive regular email updates about the project, please register your interest by emailing Community.Feedback@urbanutilities.com.au with the subject heading ‘Lowood-Fernvale Updates’ and provide your name, email address, contact number and property address.
To find out more
To find out more about the Lowood-Fernvale Sewer Upgrade, you can:
- Phone: 07 3855 6732 (Weekdays 9am-5pm)
- Phone: 1800 071 230 (24/7)
- Email: Community.Feedback@urbanutilities.com.au
Thank you for your patience during this essential work.