Queensland Urban Utilities is committed to excellence in water and sewerage services that meet the evolving needs of our customers and enhance our communities. As part of this commitment, we are constructing a cross-river water pipeline from Murarrie to Pinkenba, which will connect two water supply zones - the Bartleys Hill reservoir in Ascot and the Wellers Hill reservoir in Murarrie.
Once finished, the project will help cater for future demand and ensure security of water supply to Pinkenba, Eagle Farm and Murarrie. It will also make the provision of water supply more flexible and minimise customer impacts in the event of a water outage, for example, during extreme weather.
Project update - May 2018
We are nearing the end of construction of the $20M Murarrie-Pinkenba Cross River Water Pipeline. The below activities are now complete:
- Open trench installation of the water pipe over the creek culverts on Holt Street is complete.
- Open trench installation of about 1060 metres of new water pipeline along Holt Street is complete.
- We have installed valve chambers on Kingsford Smith Drive that will enable water flow control for maintenance and supply purposes.
- Open trench construction of about 600 of 850 metres of new water pipeline along Queensport Road North is complete.
- Auger boring (drilling) to install the water pipe under the stormwater culverts on Queensport Road North is complete.
- We have installed two valve chambers at the site on Queensport Road North.
- Road resurfacing of construction damaged areas on Queensport Road North is also complete.
Drilling under the Brisbane River is complete. The 1.1km of water pipeline was completed using horizontal directional drilling (HDD).
The above video shows the pipe pullback stage of horizontal directional drilling on this project.
- Connecting the new water main to the existing water network on Kingsford Smith Drive.
- Installing valves in the construction site at the river end of Holt Street. This involves constructing a large pit and installing valves that allow us to control the water flow and pressure in the water main.
- Finalising construction of the water main over the creek culverts on Holt Street between Chapman Place and Lavarack Avenue.
- Road resurfacing of construction damaged areas will be complete once the pipe has been tested and all work along Holt Street is complete.
- Connecting the new water pipeline to the existing network in the Transurban land at the northern end of Queensport Road North.
- Following the completion of the river crossing, a permanent switchboard will be installed and secured at the current construction site. This powers the water main valves that are currently being installed.
- Additional resurfacing might be required following completion of the remaining work along Queensport Road North.
We will keep the community informed and provide regular updates to directly impacted customers. We will also work closely with our contractor to ensure every effort is made to minimise the disruption to the extent possible.
Find out more
For further information about the project, email firstname.lastname@example.org.