You can rely on us to keep things flowing, and from time-to-time we need to upgrade your local water network.
A Remote Telemetry Unit or Remote Terminal Unit (RTU) is a transmitter device that monitors and reports data for our water and wastewater network.
Some of our RTU’s are based within reservoir sites, pump stations and booster pump stations across Brisbane, Ipswich, Scenic Rim, Somerset and Lockyer Valley. RTU’s are important components of our SCADA systems (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) and like all electrical devices they wear with usage and with age.
From July 2022, Urban Utilities and our delivery partner, Downer WSP, will undertake works across several individual sites located in both urban and rural areas of Ipswich City. The project will include upgrades to existing cables, conduits, and switchboards within Urban Utilities RTU sites as well as the supply and installation of new equipment.
Project delivery and work hours
Construction will be delivered progressively, with works at each location expected to take up to four weeks to complete, weather and site conditions permitting.
Most of the work will be done during the day, between 6am and 6pm, Monday to Friday. There may also be occasional work on Saturdays or after-hours at various stages of the project. We will notify the community in advance if night work or additional working hours are required.
What to expect during construction?
- Construction-related noise and minor dust from equipment, machinery, and vehicle movements
- Site establishment and laydown areas within existing Urban Utilities sites
- Some footpath access and on-street parking may be temporarily unavailable at some locations
- Changed traffic conditions and possible lane/road closures around work sites, with traffic management in place to manage traffic flow and maintain property access
- Possible temporary water outages. Customers will be notified at least 3 working days prior to any planned temporary disruption to water supply
- Queensland Fire and Emergency Services will be notified at least 3 working days before any temporary water shutdowns
- Possible night work with safety lighting and noise and machinery
- Dialysis patients - Queensland Health will be notified at least 3 working days before any temporary water shutdowns.