You can rely on us to keep things flowing, and from time-to-time we need to upgrade your local water network.
Urban Utilities and our delivery partner, Downer WSP, will soon undertake works on the reservoir at Whitehead Street, Eastern Heights. The project will involve remediation and refurbishment works to the existing roof and supporting columns of the structure.
Construction was expected to commence from late July 2021. Due to recent site conditions, including restrictions in place as a result of COVID-19, the project has unfortunately been delayed.
Works will now take place in two stages. This will ensure that the reservoir is online and operational during the peak summer period. Construction will occur between:
- Stage one: early October 2021 to mid-November 2021
- Stage two: March 2022 to July 2022
Whitehead Street reservoir was established in 1961 and by undertaking these works we will extend the service life of the asset and future proof the reliability of the reservoir.
What to expect during construction?
- site establishment and laydown areas at the existing reservoir site on Whitehead Road.
- construction-related noise, dust and minor vibrations from machinery and vehicle movements
- changed traffic conditions within the reservoir site and access road
- safety barriers and signage around the work site, including monitoring and CCTV activities
Construction is expected to take up to five months to complete, weather and site conditions permitting.
Most of the work will be done during the day, between 6:30am and 6:00pm, Monday to Friday. There may also be occasional work on Saturdays if required during the project. We will notify the community in advance if Saturday works are planned.
The project team will minimise the construction impacts to the extent possible, including managing noise and dust at the source, utilising traffic control and reviewing work methods as required.
We will keep directly impacted neighbours informed by providing regular construction updates during the project.
Thank you for your patience and understanding while we complete this essential work.