Queensland Urban Utilities is committed to excellence in water and sewerage services that meet the evolving needs of our customers and enhance our communities.
As part of this commitment, we’re investing $55 million to build a new 4.25km sewer main between Wecker Road, Mansfield and Cadogan Street, Carindale. The project will cater for future growth and development in the catchment area and reduce the likelihood of sewage overflows.
Previous stages 1 and 1A of the Bulimba Creek Trunk Sewer upgrade were completed in 2004-2016 and 2011-2013 in Mansfield, Wishart, Eight Mile Plains and Macgregor.
The existing Bulimba Creek Trunk Sewer Services about 158,000 people to the south-east of the Brisbane CBD. It is comprised of about 62km of sewer pipes ranging in diameter from 375mm to 1,650mm and discharges to the Gibson Island Sewage Treatment Plant.
Ewer Street tunnel borer exit shaft
We have excavated approximately 950 cubic metres from the shaft on the corner of Ewer Street and Scrub Road to a depth of over 40 metres with just eight metres to go.
Following the construction of the shaft, the site will be pulled in and secured and Ewer Street will be opened following a traffic safety assessment. The site will remain secured until the tunnel boring machine is pulled out of the shaft in early-2018 and then again when work is completed around mid-2018.
What have we done so far?
Since August 2016, the project team has:
- constructed a tunnel boring machine exit shaft in Edwards Reserve off Tones Road, Mansfield
- constructed two tunnel boring machine entry shafts, one on the Allen Innes Oval off Tones Road in Mansfield and one on the corner of Pine Mountain and Scrub Roads in Carindale.
- tunnelled between the Allen Innes Oval entry shaft and the Edwards Reserve exit shaft. The tunnel boring machine will now be moved to our Kenmore-Jindalee Cross River Pipeline project to construct a 550m tunnel under the Brisbane river before being brought back to the Bulimba Creek Stage 2 Sewer Upgrade in mid-2017.
The shaft in Edwards Reserve has been made secure and will remain inactive until the tunnel boring machine tunnels through from the Pine Mountain/Scrub Road shaft. The shaft on the corner of Pine Mountain and Scrub Roads will remain inactive until the tunnel boring machine is brought to site around May 2017.
Over the coming six months we will be:
- ongoing constructing the shaft on the corner of Ewer Street and Scrub Road, Carindale
- tunnelling from the shaft on the corner of Pine Mountain and Scrub Roads, Carindale through to Edwards Reserve and then to the shaft on the corner of Ewer Street and Scrub Road
- constructing the shaft on Scrub Road near the Energex Substation (near 110 Scrub Road), Carindale. Details on what the community can expect will be issued closer to the start of construction.
You can interact with this map by zooming in and out and clicking on the map features for more information.
The project team is committed to minimising the construction impacts on local residents.
We will keep you informed about progress and provide regular construction updates for directly impacted residents. We will also work closely with the project contractor to ensure every effort is made to keep any disturbances to a minimum.
At any time during the construction, you can contact the project team on 1800 071 230 (24/7) if you have any questions or concerns.
To find out more
To find out more about the Bulimba Creek Stage 2 Sewer Upgrade or to register to receive project updates, you can:
- Phone: 07 3855 6730 (Weekdays 9am-5pm)
- Phone: 1800 071 230 (24/7)
- Email: Community.Feedback@urbanutilities.com.au
Thank you for your patience during this essential work.