State Government Pensioner Water Subsidy Scheme

If you receive a pension, you may be eligible to receive the State Government Pensioner Water Subsidy. 

The following eligibility criteria has been sourced from the Queensland Government’s website

To be eligible for the subsidy, you must be:

  • a holder of a Queensland Pensioner Concession Card (issued by Centrelink or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs) or a Department of Veterans’ Affairs Repatriation Health Card for all conditions (Gold Card) 
  • the owner or life tenant* of the property which is your principal place of residence and located in Queensland, and
  • legally responsible for the payment of local council rates and charges levied on that property.
*A life tenancy can be created only by a valid Will and is effective only after the death of the property owner, or by a Supreme or Family Court Order.

The property must be located in the South-East Queensland Water Grid area and the subsidy is allowed on only one property at a time.

Eligible pensioners can receive a subsidy of up to $120 for the year (or up to $30 for each quarterly bill), off the cost of water access and usage charges for their principal place of residence. 
Married couple/De facto      

100% of the water subsidy is paid, even if only one partner applies.  
If both apply 50% of the subsidy is paid to each partner. If one partner passes away, 100% of the water subsidy is paid to the remaining partner.

Married couple/De facto are separated and only one lives in the house

If each person owns 50% and the property is still in both names the resident will receive 50% of the water subsidy.

All other scenarios depend on the percentage ownership of the property. For example:

  • A mother and one child reside in the property. When the mother applies she will receive 60% of the water subsidy (Mother 60% / Child 1 40%).
  • A mother and two children reside in the property. When the mother applies she will receive 34% of the water subsidy. (Mother 34% / Child 1 33% / Child 2 33%).

For information on other concessions assistance available to pensioners and families in Queensland, visit the Queensland Government website.

Do you have an existing Pensioner Water Subsidy?

Remember to contact us if your circumstances change. Please note that if you change your address, you will need to complete a new application form.